Welcome to the Hunts Sailing Club Website
Hunts Sailing Club, located at St Ives, close to Huntingdon, Cambridge, and Peterborough in NW Cambridgeshire, provides class racing for Solo, Enterprise, Phantom, and Laser Class dinghies, as well as an all comers handicap. We are a very family oriented club, with youth sail training, and several multi-generation families, with father vs son, daughter and wives competition in and across classes! More details on the above, under the "Sailing" heading. Please have a look round our web site, and come and visit us for real one day!
Sunday Morning Novice Race Series
Aimed at encouraging more novice sailors onto the race course, this series of races will run every Sunday morning throughout November. The series will have its own start (unless turnout is low) following three minutes after the Slow Handicap start. Novice sailors will follow the same course as the other fleets, but can, if they choose, fly a pink sail cloth streamer from the top of their mast or another point on their boat, to indicate to other sailors that they are beginners still finding their way round the course and the racing rules, and would appreciate positive tips, advice and guidance!
- An experienced Sunday racer will be on hand every Sunday morning to ensure you understand the course and when your start will be, and also that you know when to finish!
- Are you a novice? For the purposes of this series we are using 'novice' to mean someone who has not yet completed any club race series, or more than five club races at Hunts or any other club. There is no upper or lower age limit, and we welcome regular cruising sailors who now want to move into racing.
- At the end of the month the results will be pulled together to create a series winner, and there will be a prize giving that Sunday lunchtime. This series runs in conjunction with the Saturday morning novice race training, although those unable to take part in the training are still very welcome to join the race series.
- Club boats will be available to hire subject to the usual wind speed limit, and at the usual hire rates.
Saturday Morning Novice Race Training
This training is aimed at getting keen beginners on the water and joining in with club racing, and will run in conjunction with a Novice Race series planned for Sunday mornings throughout November.
Sessions will include:
- Starting - where to be on the line, timing, flags, rules, looking out for other boats.
- Sailing the course - going round marks, how to adjust your boat for different points of sail, not getting in the way, but also knowing your rights.
- Setting your sail controls for different wind strengths, making your boat go faster!
- Finishing - knowing when, where and how.
All on the water sessions will be followed by a debrief, both individual and group, which will hopefully include video, and will also discuss what sailors want more of in subsequent sessions.
Dates: 29th October, 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th November. Be rigged, changed and ready for briefing at 9.30, launching at 9.45. We will aim to finish at 1.00pm.
More Success for the Hunts Youth Team
The Hunts youth team have once again won the Cambridgeshire Youth League team trophy, finishing the season 216 points ahead of Cam.
Club newsletter - August 2016
The August 2016 edition of the Club newsletter has now been sent out.
Do check your junk mail folder as the email was sent to all members and may be seen as spam.
In this issue:
- Classic and Vintage Racing Dinghy Association National Regatta
- Fun Family Race Day
- NSSA Regatta report
- Boat Camp report
- British Moth Sea Champs
- Events in August/Sept/Oct
- Using Club Boats
- Cakes raise £130
You should have received an email with it attached but you can also download it here: Click here to download the newsletter